When the sun is high in the sky and the warm breeze calls, summer cocktails are waiting to be enjoyed. Although the frozen varieties with their little umbrellas might bring the vacation vibe, bold colors and flavors do not have to be served in a hurricane glass. Isn’t it time to shake up something new and set the summer fun in a different direction?
Although canned cocktails might be the drink of summer, many aspiring mixologists prefer to shake up their skills with bolder flavor options. Focusing on bright, zesty and refreshing, those descriptions can make sipping from the glass even more satisfying.
Three summer cocktails that bring the bold flavor
Ardbeg An Oa – Mint Monster
While some people think of Scotch whisky as a slow sipper on a chilly day, the Ardbeg An Oa has a sweet finish that makes is a lovely choice for a summer cocktail. Contrasting the sweet spices with the bright lemon and refreshing mint makes this cocktail quite refreshing on a hot day.
Consider enjoying this cocktail as an afternoon sipper prior to dinner. The flavors will awaken the palate. Here’s how to many Ardbeg An Oa Mint Monster.
- 2 oz Ardbeg An Oa
- 3 lemon wedges
- ¾ oz simple syrup
- 4 mint leaves
- Mint sprig to garnish
- Muddle your lemon wedges in a shaker. Pour in the whisky, simple syrup, mint leaves, and ice. Shake well until mixed and chilled. Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with the mint sprig.
Fresh Victor – Cactus Pear Cosmo
While the Cosmopolitan cocktail has been having a comeback, the fruit flavor doesn’t have to be just cranberry. This cocktail brings the bold flavor with the Fresh Victor Cactus Pear & Pomegranate. The combination of tart and fresh is quite refreshing. Sip it slowly, with or without friends, or however you like it.
Cactus Pear Cosmo
- 3 oz Fresh Victor Cactus Pear & Pomegranate
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- .5 oz Cointreau
- Lime wedge
- In a cocktail shaker, add all ingredients, fill the shaker with ice, shake well (to chill and dilute) and strain up into a cocktail glass; squeeze and then drop the lime wedge into the glass.
- In a glass filled with ice, add all ingredients, plus 1.5 oz of water (for dilution), stir gently, strain into another glass, garnish and serve.
For a mocktail version, here’s how to make one.
- 3 oz Cactus Pear & Pomegranate
- 1 oz 100% Fresh Orange Juice
- .25 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 oz Water
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake well and strain up into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.
Mezcal Amarás Cupreata – Cupreata Mezcalita
While margaritas are a popular summer cocktail, this cocktail skips the fruity flavors for a brighter option. Just like cucumber water is a delightful sipper to bring the refreshment, this combination of herbaceous and citrus makes even the hottest day seem a little cooler.
Given that the Mezcal Amarás Cupreata has herbal notes, it plays off the brightness in this cocktail. While the brand focuses on the seed to sip mentality, the smoothness makes this cocktail a superb sip.
Here’s how to make a Cupreate Mezcalita from Mezcal Amarás Cupreata.
- 1.5 on Mezcal Amarás Cupreata
- 1.5 on Cucumber Water (English Cucumber washed, blend with 1 cup of water including the peel, fine strain, this is the water)
- 1 oz fresh Line Juice
- 0.5 oz Agave Nectar
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake. Pour over the glass with fresh ice. Garnish one side of the rim with Tajin and a cucumber peel.
What are your favorite summer cocktails? Ready to shake up some new flavors in the glass?