This simple zucchini salad recipe will become a dinner time staple.
If your garden is overflowing with zucchini, this simple zucchini salad recipe will have everyone asking for a second, over even third helping. Even if the family tends to say no to another salad, this recipe will have them saying yes time and again.
Whether it is a bountiful backyard garden or the fresh ingredients at a farmer’s market, summer vegetables need recipes that keep them exciting. While zucchini is often found on store shelves all year round, the seasonal varieties are often full of flavor.
Although the zoodle recipes seem to fill the family dinner table, that zucchini can take on a variety of flavors. Beyond the simple sauté or even grilled option, a simple zucchini salad recipe can highlight the best of that flavor.
Recently, Pure Leaf hosting a special event to highlight their Cold Brew Teas. During the event, Chef Megan Mictchell shared a delicious zucchini salad recipe that not only paired exquisitely with the Pure Leaf Cold Brew tea but also highlighted the concept of simple needs to be celebrated.
Even as more and more people explore their cooking abilities, sometimes it is ok to take a step back. That idea of saying no, has power. That same concept can be applied to recipes. Often five ingredients are better than 10. The idea of stepping back, editing and saying no is key.
Here’s how to make a simple zucchini salad recipe.
Zucchini, avocado and radish salad with citrus vinaigrette
For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated on a zester
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 3 radishes
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 large semi-ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp finely minced chives
- 1 tbsp baby basil leaves
- Chive blossoms or edible flowers, for garnish (optional)
- Flaked sea salt
- Begin by making the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, EVOO, minced garlic clove, dijon, maple syrup and a large punch of salt and pepper. Whisk together for seasoning. Set aside until needed.
- Beging by cutting the root off the radishes. Then slice them in half and once again, thinly slicing them into halfmoons. Next, using a mandoline or a sharp knife thinly slice the zucchini into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- Halve the avocado, remove the pit and peel off the skin. Place the cut side down and thinly slice lengthwise then cut in half.
- To assemble, on a large round platter or plate place down the zucchini slices, overlapping them around the edge of the platter/plate. Continue this pattern around until all the zucchini is used and your reach the middle of the platter/plate. About 5-6 rows.
- Tuck 4-5 sliced of avocado in-between the zucchini rounds every 7-8 pieces. Sprinkle with the sliced radish, minced chives, basil leaves, chive blossoms or edible flowers is using and a drizzle of the dressing.
- Finish with a sprinkle of flaked sea salt and serve alongside Pure Leaf Cold Brew Black Tea with Tropical Mango.
This recipe showcases that fresh, simple ingredients can shine. Whether it is this simple zucchini salad recipe or the Cold Brew Tea from Pure Leaf, it is time to say no the extras and yes to the pure taste.
What is your favorite simple recipe? How do you let the simple ingredients shine?