The best holiday breakfast is definitely Dad’s French Toast with eggnog and whiskey.
While mom usually knows best, Dad’s French Toast with eggnog and whiskey might be the best holiday breakfast. Although the kids might need a slightly modified version, parents will happily enjoy this breakfast after all the holiday gifts are opened. Doesn’t a holiday breakfast or brunch deserve an extra special recipe?
For many people, French Toast is a classic breakfast recipe. That thick cut bread soaks up all the delicious custard. While the bread is important, the custard brings the best flavor to the dish.
This French Toast recipe from Shamrock Farms is an adult version of the classic breakfast dish. With a little Slane Irish Whiskey mixed into with the Shamrock Farms eggnog, the breakfast could even be a dessert, too. Actually, parts of this recipe could be adapted into a variety of recipes.
If you aren’t a fan of French Toast, the parts of the recipe can be adapted to other dishes. For example, the drunken berries would be delicious on pancakes, waffles or a variety of other desserts. It is a simple food idea that works in many ways.
Also, you can adapt the custard recipe, too. If eggnog is not your preferred holiday beverage, you could try an almond milk or even an oat milk. The basic recipe can be customized to your preferences.
Lastly, one item to remember when making this French Toast recipe. The salt is key. A touch of salt not only balances a recipe, but it also brings out a touch of sweetness. Just like salt is key in baking, it is important to use a good salt in this recipe.
While this breakfast recipe is Dad’s French Toast, it will be mom approved. Just remember, those berries are just for the adults.
Eggnog & Whiskey Base Ingredients:
- 4 cups Shamrock Farms® Eggnog
- ¼ cup Slane Irish Whiskey®
- ½ cup egg yolks
- 8 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp maldon sea salt
- 8 pieces Brioche (1 ½” thick)
- ½ cup melted butter
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 2 cups Shamrock Farms® Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Slane Irish Whiskey Drunken Berries Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Slane Irish Whiskey®
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Eggnog-whiskey base instructions: In a large mixing bowl add egg yolks and whisk lightly.
- Slowly add sugar ¼ cup at a time and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add cold Shamrock Farms Eggnog, Slane Irish Whiskey, cinnamon, vanilla extract and maldon sea salt.
- Whisk ingredients until well incorporated.
- Soak instructions: Submerge brioche bread with eggnog-whiskey Base.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to soak for 2 hours in a refrigerator.
- Pan frying instructions: Heat 2” deep cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add melted butter.
- Fry each side of french toast until golden brown, approx. 2-3 minutes per side.
- Whipped cream topping instructions: Add cold heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract to kitchen aide using the wire whisk attachment.
- Whip on medium high until cream holds high peaks.
Macerated berries instructions: Mix berries with sugar, Slane Irish Whiskey, lemon juice and salt. Allow to stand for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Great trick if your fruit is under-ripe.
What is your best holiday breakfast? What will you be serving this holiday season?