The MTN Dew Citrus Garlic Chicken recipe is so satisfying.
If you can handle the heat, the MTN Dew Citrus Garlic Chicken recipe brings the big, bold flavors. Considered one of the most flavorful recipes in the Mountain Dew Cookbook, this chicken recipe will have you forgetting about chicken sandwiches or even chicken wings. Just make sure that you have another MTN Dew close by to drink.
Many cooks have used their favorite beverages to flavor various recipes. From baking to marinades, those beverages transform those favorite flavors in new ways.
Given that the Dew Nation is loyal to the deliciousness that is MTN Dew, the Mountain Dew cookbook has become their kitchen staple. From the classic MTN Dew flavor to even Big Red, the various beverages have found a new way to be enjoyed.
One recipe that has received a lot of attention is the Citrus Garlic Chicken recipe. A relatively simple recipe to master, the flavors are exciting. At one point the recipe is spicy, then it cools. It begs you to take another bite till the plate is empty.
Here’s how to make the MTN Dew Citrus Garlic Chicken recipe.
Marinade (and sauce #2)
- 1 can of MTN Dew (12 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cilantro stems, plus extra for garnish
- 4-6 chicken thighs, bone in and skin-on
- Kosher or fine salt, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon minced chives
- Red habanero sauce (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine MTN Dew, garlic, zest and juice of lime and lemon, red pepper and cilantro stems
- Add the chicken thighs to the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade and pan fry or grill. You’ll want to hit an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Mix sour cream and chives for easy peasy sauce #1.
- Add the marinade into the saucepan and let it reduce to ¼. Strain and reserve. This is going to be your sauce #2.
- Place the chicken thighs on a plate and serve with sauce #1 and #2 to your taste. Habanero sauce will be a great plus-up if you like spice
- Garnish with cilantro leaves
If you make this Citrus Garlic Chicken recipe, here are a few hints. The marinade needs to be cooked to be used as a sauce. Since the marinade was used with raw chicken, this step is imperative.
While this recipe suggests grilling or pan frying, a cast iron pan would be a great choice. It would get a strong sear on the chicken thighs.
Although many people might think to use this recipe on chicken wings, chicken thighs add to the flavor of this dish. The chicken thighs can stand up to all the flavors and make it a hearty dish. A boneless thigh could be a possibility, but it could change the flavor a little.
Also, you can play with the flavors with this recipe. Instead of a red habanero sauce, you could use the MTN Dew Hot sauce. That choice would bring out more citrus flavors with the heat.
Overall, this recipe could become a favorite. Whether you are a MTN Dew fan or just enjoy a tasty chicken recipe, this Citrus Garlic Chicken recipe is a winner.
Do you cook with your favorite beverage? What recipe should FoodSided try next?