Tired of boring brunch recipes? With this savory waffles recipe, no one will dare use the “b” word during that brunch gathering. With a few simple food twists, this recipe could become a signature for any special occasion. Ready to get cooking?
Many people love brunch. Whether it is the mimosas that seem to be continuously flowing or maybe it is that gigantic Bloody Mary that is a cocktail and a meal. Brunch is the meal where everything is on the table. Sweet, savory, breakfast and lunch are melded together into a gigantic feast.
From the holiday table to just because, brunch has become a weekend staple. Even if you have stuck to healthy eating habits all week long, brunch can be the time to splurge a little. Maybe it is a little extra syrup on those waffles or maybe it is an extra cocktail as a dessert. This meal is often served with a side of indulgence.
Savory waffles recipe has an ingredient twist.
When it comes to brunch recipes, home cooks can go in different directions. Although some people would prefer to skip the sometimes difficult Eggs Benedict, other recipes can be fairly easy to master.
Recently, Mango.org shared their favorite brunch recipe. In a way, this dish combines several brunch staples onto one plate. In some ways, this dish might solve that age old question, of the chicken and egg. In this case, it is all about the egg.
Additionally, the mango salsa brings the brightness to the dish. Although not too spicy, this dish is a cacophony of flavors. From heat to sweet and everything in between, it could make believe that chicken and waffles recipe needs to be filed away.
Here’s how to make Savory Waffles with Fried Eggs and Mango Salsa
- 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Fried Eggs
- 4 eggs for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- In a small glass bowl mix together the diced mango, avocado, lime juice, scallions, smoked paprika, red chili flakes and salt.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, chili powder and salt. In a small separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the waffle batter into your preheated waffle iron.
- This batter is enough to make 4-5 thick square waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron, your yield may vary.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and cook until whites are set but the yolks are still runny. About 4-5 minutes.
- (You may need to cook 2 eggs at a time, depending on the size of your pan).
- Assemble by spreading a touch of butter on each waffle, then top with a spoonful of mango-avocado salsa and the fried egg.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper on the top of each egg.
What is your favorite brunch recipe? Are you excited to try this savory waffles recipe?