For many people, chicken wings are a favorite food. Spicy, sweet, savory or something else, that handheld bite satisfies. While there are a bounty of flavors waiting to be explored, sometimes a secret ingredient can make one bite go from whoa to wow. Ready to give that bar shelf a second look with these sticky wings?
Sticky wings might not exactly be finger licking good food, but they might require some extra napkins. Although flavors vary, there is usually a spicy, sweet combination. Whether that sticky is from honey, agave syrup or even brown sugar, these chicken wings are not a spoonful of sugar. The sugar notes help to balance all the other flavor components.
While sugar and spice make everything nice, that balance can make a winning dish. Even the spice adverse can be more willing to take that second, third or fourth bite when the touch of sweetness tempers the flame.
Creating a flavorful chicken wing recipe can go in many directions. Beyond the favorite store-bought sauces, culinary creators have enticed social media followers with their takes. From using the pantry wisely to unusual ingredients, it can be good to think outside of the bottle.
In this recipe from Grossy Pelosi, he uses Q Mixers Ginger Beer as his secret ingredient. Cocktail enthusiasts know that Q Mixers are always a must on the bar shelf. The clean, crisp mixer allows all the other ingredients in a cocktail shine. After all, a quality spirit deserves a quality mixer.
This recipe for sticky wings uses Q Mixers Ginger Beer. That bold spice from the ginger mixes perfectly with the sweet pineapple. In addition, it enhances the fresh ginger in the recipe. Lastly, the carbonation keeps everything bubbly.
Here’s how to make Grossy Pelosi’s Ginger Lime Pineapple Sticky Wings
- 4 lbs chicken wings (and/or drumsticks)
- 1 whole pineapple, sliced into ½ thick pieces
- 1 ½ cups (12oz.) of Q Mixers Ginger Beer
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 4 scallions, chopped into 1/8 inch pieces
- Sesame seeds
Ginger lime sticky sauce
- Mix Q Mixers Ginger Beer, grated ginger, light brown sugar, lime juice and lime zest into a saucepan over high heat.
- Once liquid is heated through, place 1/4 cup of it into a small bowl and add 1 teaspoon cornstarch, stirring until dissolved.
- Add cornstarch liquid back into the pot and stir frequently for up to 20 minutes until bubbly and thick.
Grossy’s Tip: A spatula should just be able to make a clear path between the sauce.
- Remove sauce from the heat after minutes and let cool slightly. Mix in vinegar, kosher salt and sriracha until combined. Taste sauce and adjust to your liking.
Get Your Grill On
- Now, let’s grill* the pineapple and wings. Grill the wings at 450 degrees for 8 min each side until golden and crisp. Grill the pineapple at the same time, going as dark and charred as you like!
- Toss the grilled pineapple and chicken wings in the sticky ginger sauce, coating them evenly, then sprinkle scallions and sesame seeds on top before serving them immediately!
Grossy’s Tip for BAKED Pineapple and Wings
- Bake at 425 degrees on a wire rack placed on a lined baking sheet for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your wings. Flip wings halfway through. Remove pineapple slices when they are as crispy as you want them.
Of course, a plate of sticky wings needs a perfect pairing. Why not enjoy a Q Mixers Mule. The Q Mixers Ginger Beer is already available. Might as well ensure that no drop is wasted.
What do you think of this sticky wings recipe? Hungry to try it?